There is no denying it now. Fall is definitely here for us in Norway. I went for my weekly hike with my girlfriends today, and swimming season was clearly over. Today’s high was 12 C er about 55 F, which is about the same as it has been the last week or so. So now its time to focus on the fall, lets think about the positive side of autumn.
Ten things I like about fall:
- Warm soups and stews are in again. Warm food inside to beat the chilly weather outside. On Sunday we had lamb and cabbage stew, click here to see Renny’s article about this Norwegian tradition.
- Candlelight! In the summer months we don’t light candles as often because the daylight lasts and lasts here. Now it is dark in the evenings again, and I love the warm glow and feel of candles in the room.
- Fireplaces. I love the smell of a fireplace, the warmth, the light, the comfort!
- Wool. I love wool socks, wool sweaters, wool shawls, wool blankets and even scarves. Wool is a comfort material, warm and fuzzy inside and out.
- Our down comforters, or duvets, I think that’s the modern word for them. We still sleep with the window open for a little fresh crisp air, and its so lovely to curl up under a down comforter when its just a bit cold.
- Back to school. I hate to admit it but I like the back to school time of year. Especially this year. My two sons are beginning in new schools and are really enthusiastic about their studies right now, and I am in my last year of my Masters and doing my best to have fun with that.
- The new TV season….okay nobody’s perfect
- Apples. I really only like apples when they are in season. The fresh fall apples are so much better then the dry stored variety we get the rest of the year.
- Boots. In Norway its important to have several types of boots. Rain boots or Wellies as they seem to be called in English these days. A pair of snow boots, a pair of hiking boots, and at least one pair of dress up boots…which Norwegian women live in most of the time.
- Fall colors of course!! The significant four seasons all have their charm, and the fall colors are natures final gala before the plants go to sleep and the snow covers them all like a crystal blanket. Without all the other seasons, no one season would have the same value by itself.
What do you like about the fall??