Now at the beginning of 2009 we are planning for a good New Year and taking better care of ourselves. I have an exercise which can be used to help you meet your personal goals, whatever they may be, and make sure that what you are spending your time and energy on is you priorities in life. Here is an exercise to try:
1. Schedule an hour of quiet time with yourself.
2. Think carefully about the year ahead and the priorities you have for yourself and your family. Write these down.
3. Review last year’s priorities, and write down whether or not they came to pass and how they’ve affected your life. What have you accomplished in the last year?
4. Set ten new priorities for the upcoming year, taking into account all areas of your life — health, relationships, work, and spiritual growth.
5. Then finish the exercise by writing a letter to yourself, acknowledging how you’ve made a difference in your life and in the lives of others.
You may have heard the old saying: “Most people spend more time planning their vacations than their lives.” It’s sad, but true. If you don’t take the time to stop and consider where you’d like to be in a year, you may not like where you end up.
Setting priorities is easier than you think. You don’t need to spend hours working on them. Ten lines are all it takes. As you set them, make sure you choose intentions that you’re ready to put your time and energy behind. Setting intentions in and of itself is only one part of the process. Taking action to fulfil them is what inspires doors to open and pathways to clear.
As you set your own intentions, they might relate to your finances, your health, your career, the dreams you keep putting off, or the areas of your life that need your attention for a while. Whatever type you set, keep them simple. What matters most is that they feel right to you. This year, celebrate your life by taking stock over your priorities. There’s only one you in the world and it serves us all when you live your life to the fullest.
One of my priorities for 2009 is spending time and doing exciting things with my beloved husband RennyBA! Right now one exciting thing he is working on is The WebBlog Awards, where he is nominated for best European blog. Please stop in and VOTE NOW, he’s just a little under 3rd place! You can vote once a day!