This Saturday March 27 at 8:30pm, hundreds of millions of people from more than 120 countries and regions across every continent will come together for Earth Hour in a moment of unprecedented global unity to show the way forward on climate change. Here you will find some ideas of how to pass that time! Check out RennyBAs Terella for the concept back earth hour and Norways results for 2010.
Here at Metamorphoses we will be showing our support as well. Since many of us here are internet junkies I thought I would compile a creative list of what one can do during the one hour of darkness. We will be enjoying a candlelight dinner with lobster and fresh mixed salad, a little chilled wine and conversation without keyboards!!! Maybe we will have some other fun too wink wink!! You never know, we may go overtime!
1. Go for a walk and see what the neighbours have switched off.
2. One word: Fondue! You get a great meal, no electricity required. (or cooked lobster like we will have)
3. Chill your wine outside. Host an Earth Hour Party: BYO candle and no plastic cups.
4. Harness the combined romance of candlelight and eco-chivalry to get romantic.
5. Dig out your clarinet, ocarina or guitar for an acoustic music night.
6. Debate whether one hour can trigger social change.
7. Look for stars in the darker night sky, or moon dance.
8. Tell ghost stories. Go down to the basement to investigate dark spooky corners.
9. Bust out the Ouija board, host a séance.
10. Dig out your Dungeons and Dragons dice for an atmospheric apocalyptic game.
11. Prove to yourself that, yes, you can go 60 minutes without updating your Facebook status.
12. Don’t forget fitness. Practise naked yoga.
13. Conserve water. Share a bath.
14. Or go to bed early. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.
15. Consider getting some help if the results of No. 14 only took one minute.
16. Spin a globe to find your next holiday destination.
17. Play dress-up in the dark. Don’t wear colour-co-ordinated clothes.
18. If going out, do your makeup by candlelight. It’s harder than it seems. Pretend it’s eighties punk.
19. Play with sparklers. Take long-exposure photos of your efforts.
20. Master your origami skills. (that means paper folding folks!!)
21. Invite your neighbours over for a game of Texas Hold ’em.
22. Put teabag compresses on your eyes.
23. Take your date somewhere discreet and make out.
24. Start a pool on whether there will be a baby spike in nine months.
25. Hark for sounds of fire engines (see: candle use).
I found a nice video which shows what earth hour is, and how it has spread and shown its effectiveness. Let us know what you are doing for earth hour, and join RennyBAs link love for the earth!